Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 ½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 Tbsp of butter
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, not allowing lumps to form. Continue to cook while stirring over medium heat until thick, about 4 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into stockpot and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
Recipe submitted by Lynsley H.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 1 29 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced green peppers and onion over medium-high heat.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, drain excess grease from beef mixture.
- Put beef mixture back into pot.
- Add in diced tomatoes, chicken (or beef) broth and tomato sauce.
- Give it all a good stir.
- Then add in rice.
- Stir again.
- Then stir in seasonings; sugar, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste).
- Cover and let soup simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes to let all the flavors blend. (The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get.)
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top of each serving.
Note: 1 cup of uncooked rice will make 2 cups of cooked rice.
Recipe submitted by Dotty C.
- 2 or 3 lbs. chuck roast, cut up
- 3 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large can tomato juice
Place meat in large pot, well covered with water. Cook until tender. Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender. May want more vegetables.
Recipe submitted by Colleen S.