Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 ½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 Tbsp of butter
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, not allowing lumps to form. Continue to cook while stirring over medium heat until thick, about 4 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into stockpot and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
Recipe submitted by Lynsley H.
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup carrots
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 ½ cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup peas, thawed
- In a large pot, combine potatoes, water, carrots, and onions. Boil. Reduce heat, then cover and cook for 10 – 15 minutes until tender.
- In another pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir cheese into butter mixture until melted. Then stir into undrained potato mixture. Add peas and ham. Serve warm.
Recipe submitted by Jillian B.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 1 29 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced green peppers and onion over medium-high heat.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, drain excess grease from beef mixture.
- Put beef mixture back into pot.
- Add in diced tomatoes, chicken (or beef) broth and tomato sauce.
- Give it all a good stir.
- Then add in rice.
- Stir again.
- Then stir in seasonings; sugar, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste).
- Cover and let soup simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes to let all the flavors blend. (The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get.)
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top of each serving.
Note: 1 cup of uncooked rice will make 2 cups of cooked rice.
Recipe submitted by Dotty C.
- 6 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced roasted parsnips
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 2 cups ham, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups water
- 4 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp nutmeg
- 10 Tbsp butter
- 10 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- Cook potatoes until just beginning to soften, boiling for about 15 minutes. Drain and add to crockpot.
- Add roasted parsnips and ham to crockpot. Heat water, salt, celery, onion, and chicken bouillon in a large saucepan to boiling. Reduce heat and cook over medium-low for 15 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until thick (about 1 minute). Slowly stir in milk as not to let lumps form, until all milk is added. Continue to stir over medium heat until thick (4 – 5 minutes).
- Pour milk mixture into other saucepan with celery and onion. Combine until mixed well. Pour over potatoes, parsnips and ham in crockpot. Heat on low for 3 hours. Serve warm with a crusty bread.
Recipe submitted by Emily K.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz. chicken broth
- 2 15oz cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 4oz cans diced mild green chiles
- 1 15oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup half and half
- sliced jalapenos
- sliced avocados
- dollop of sour cream
- minced fresh cilantro
- tortilla strips
- shredded Monterey jack or Mexican cheese
- Add chicken breasts to bottom of slow cooker, top with salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Top with diced onion, minced garlic, great Northern beans, green chiles, corn, chicken broth and cilantro. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken to large mixing bowl, shred, then return to slow cooker.
- Add cream cheese and half and half, stir, then cover and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes, or until chili is creamy and slightly thickened.
- Stir well and serve with desired toppings.
Recipe submitted by Angela B.
- 2 or 3 lbs. chuck roast, cut up
- 3 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large can tomato juice
Place meat in large pot, well covered with water. Cook until tender. Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender. May want more vegetables.
Recipe submitted by Colleen S.