Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 ½ cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup diced cooked ham
- 3 ¼ cups water
- 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 Tbsp of butter
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of milk
- Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir in chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, not allowing lumps to form. Continue to cook while stirring over medium heat until thick, about 4 minutes.
- Stir the milk mixture into stockpot and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
Recipe submitted by Lynsley H.
- 6 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced roasted parsnips
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 2/3 cup diced onion
- 2 cups ham, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cups water
- 4 Tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp nutmeg
- 10 Tbsp butter
- 10 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- Cook potatoes until just beginning to soften, boiling for about 15 minutes. Drain and add to crockpot.
- Add roasted parsnips and ham to crockpot. Heat water, salt, celery, onion, and chicken bouillon in a large saucepan to boiling. Reduce heat and cook over medium-low for 15 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until thick (about 1 minute). Slowly stir in milk as not to let lumps form, until all milk is added. Continue to stir over medium heat until thick (4 – 5 minutes).
- Pour milk mixture into other saucepan with celery and onion. Combine until mixed well. Pour over potatoes, parsnips and ham in crockpot. Heat on low for 3 hours. Serve warm with a crusty bread.
Recipe submitted by Emily K.