- 5 C flour
- 1 C sugar
- 1 t salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 C cooked mashed potatoes (approx. two medium potatoes)
- 1 package of yeast (dissolve in warm water or milk)
- 2 C water
- 2 C raisins
- Vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in 1 C lukewarm milk, then add 1 C water.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt. Mix beaten eggs and vanilla, then add mashed potatoes. Combine with dry mix. Add water with yeast, making a soft elastic dough. (More water might be needed to make dough soft). Add raisins. Cover the dough and set aside to rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat vegetable oil to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F) in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven. Keep temperature constant. Balls will have a golden crust outside and non-greasy, cake-like inside.
- Use an ice cream scoop dipped in the hot oil to shape the dough into heaping balls. Carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry balls until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Flip balls with a fork.
- Drain finished doughnuts on paper towels lined in a colander; dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Serve warm (best!), piled into a bowl with more confectioner’s sugar dusted over them.
Submitted by Lynsley H.