1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or turkey
1 package of taco seasoning
2 medium onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 10 oz can RoTel Original Diced Tomatoes and Chiles
1 28 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
10-12 small yellow corn tortillas
1 14 oz can refried beans
2 cups small curd cottage cheese, drained
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup Cheddar cheese
Cherry tomatoes, sliced
Green onions, sliced
Black olives, sliced
1. Brown the ground beef. Remove from heat and drain grease. Set meat aside.
2. Saute onions and garlic about 5 minutes. Add to meat.
3. Add Rotel Tomatoes to mix.
4. Add taco seasoning to mix, stir well. Set meat mixture aside.
5. Cook tortillas in a small amount of oil in a skillet, frying one tortilla at a time. 5 seconds on each side.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
7. Cheese mixture: Mix egg, cottage cheese, monterey jack & cheddar cheeses. Set aside.
8. Spread refried beans on tortillas.
9. In casserole dish, layer tortillas with refried beans, meat mixture, cheese mixture, and fire roasted crushed tomatoes. First layer of tortillas will overlap and not fully cover the bottom of the dish. Repeat layers until dish is full. Leave tomatoes as final top layer, and add extra cheese prior to baking.
10. Bake for 35 minutes, until casserole is heated through. Let casserole stand for 5 minutes after baking to firm up.
Serve with any or all extra toppings.
Recipe submitted by Lynsley H.