- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 1 29 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a large pot, brown and crumble ground beef along with diced green peppers and onion over medium-high heat.
- When meat is thoroughly cooked, drain excess grease from beef mixture.
- Put beef mixture back into pot.
- Add in diced tomatoes, chicken (or beef) broth and tomato sauce.
- Give it all a good stir.
- Then add in rice.
- Stir again.
- Then stir in seasonings; sugar, garlic powder, salt & pepper (to taste).
- Cover and let soup simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes to let all the flavors blend. (The longer it simmers, the thicker it will get.)
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top of each serving.
Note: 1 cup of uncooked rice will make 2 cups of cooked rice.
Recipe submitted by Dotty C.