Servings: 8 – 10
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus 2 hour chill time.
- 9” baked pie shell
- 1 ¼ cups packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp butter, cut up
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, combine ½ cup brown sugar and ¼ cup butter. Cook and stir over low heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ¾ cup brown sugar, flour and cornstarch. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, stir to combine. Gradually stir in whipping cream. Return saucepan to heat. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Reduce heat and cook two more minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Gradually stir in about one cup of the hot filling into the yolks. Add yolk mixture into saucepan. Bring to gentle boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Cook and stir two minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 3 Tbsp cut up butter and vanilla. Pour filling into baked pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
- To serve, prepare whipped cream topping by beating 1 ¾ cups of whipping cream, ¼ cup powder sugar and ¼ tsp of vanilla in a chilled mixing bowl. Beat until moderately stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over cold filling. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe submitted by Nancy B.